HOPKINSPROPELLER.COM

HOPKINS HI-PERFORMANCE PROPELLERS
"WE PUT THE PRO IN PROPELLER"
HOPKINS PROPELLER SERVICE LLC. · 70415 CHARLIE STREET COVINGTON, LA 70433 · PHONE: 985-892-3868 FAX: 985-892-3416
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
Welcome to the Hopkins Propeller Question Board. Membership is required.
My Favorite Fishing Boat - 1983 Procraft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HOPKINSPROPELLER.COM Forum Index -> Fresh Water Fishing Boats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: My Favorite Fishing Boat - 1983 Procraft Reply with quote

My Favorite Fishing Boat - 1983 Procraft

I bought my second new boat in April of 1983 - over the phone. I had looked at boats at the Atlanta Boat Show and picked the Procraft 1780 as the one I liked best, partly because of the price. I called all the Procraft dealers I could locate and asked them for a price on exactly what I wanted. Boat Hill Marine in Washington, GA, near where I grew up, gave me the best price. I ordered one.

Although I put my 15 foot Procraft up for sale, I again had two bass boats. It is always nice to have a back-up boat but I can't really afford to do that. A friend who had fished with me several times bought that boat and immediately started having problems with it. It amazed me that we had fished out of that boat with no problems several times in the months before he bought it but as soon as he got it, problems started.

Linda and I picked up our new boat and headed to the boat club at Clark's Hill, only about 20 miles away. When we put it in and started out we looked at each other and grinned. It was instantly amazing how much better a two foot longer boat rode in rough water. And pushed by a 150 hp Evinrude motor, it popped up on the surface on plane quickly. I liked it immediately.

When I used the Evinrude trolling motor, I liked it too. Within a few hours I swore I would never have another kind and have stuck with that pledge. I loved everything about that boat and it is still my favorite to this day. It ran good, was quiet, floated in a few inches of water and was laid out in a way I really liked. And the extra length and width made it by far the boat with the most room I had ever fished from.

And the boat caught fish! The first tournament I fished in that boat was a practice tournament for the Top Six. I landed a ten bass limit weighing over 18 pounds, very good for me. At the Top Six two weeks later those fish were still there and I caught 18 in two days for a 28.7 pound catch - good for 4th place! I got to carry my new Procraft to the Southern Regional at Kentucky Lake where I placed second and missed making the BASS Masters Classic by a couple of pounds.

In 1987 I placed 3rd in the Top Six out of my Procraft, again at West Point. The lake had a 16 inch limit in that tournament and I landed only 7 keepers in two days - but they weighed 28.7 pounds, just like my 83 catch. I again got to carry my Procraft to the Southern Regional, this time at Pamlico Sound in North Carolina. That was quite a trip - we caught flounder on lizards while fishing for bass. I only managed two keepers in three days and came home very disappointed.

I kept my Procraft until June of 1990 when a Stratos sitting by the road for sale kept calling to me to buy it. I did and again had two boats. I soon sold my Procraft to a man and his son who had a house at Lake Oconee. In the Top Six tournament in 1996, I saw the fisherman who's father bought it. He said they had used that boat until 1995 with no problems except losing a prop when they used a regular cotter pin rather than a stainless steel one to hold it on. They had to have the motor rebuilt in 1995 but were still using it.

An hour meter on that boat showed 540 hours of use when I sold it after using it for over 7 years. They used it five more years before having any problems. That says a lot for the Procraft boat and Evinrude 150 motor that pushed it.

By running an hour meter I found I put about one hour running time on the motor for each 8 hour tournament day, and a little less in my average 10 hour non-tournament fishing days. I spent a lot of time in that boat based on those numbers - and almost all of them were enjoyable. The only thing I ever had to replace was the trolling motor - it died after four years of heavy use and I got another one just like it.

Someday I hope to get another boat I love as much as I did that Procraft. My new Stratos seems to have everything so far except it won't catch fish - for me. Maybe it will learn. I really like it except for a few battery problems, so far.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HOPKINSPROPELLER.COM Forum Index -> Fresh Water Fishing Boats All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: