HOPKINSPROPELLER.COM

HOPKINS HI-PERFORMANCE PROPELLERS
"WE PUT THE PRO IN PROPELLER"
HOPKINS PROPELLER SERVICE LLC. · 70415 CHARLIE STREET COVINGTON, LA 70433 · PHONE: 985-892-3868 FAX: 985-892-3416
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
Welcome to the Hopkins Propeller Question Board. Membership is required.
Use The 100 Degree Rule.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HOPKINSPROPELLER.COM Forum Index -> Sking Boats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KIPPY

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Use The 100 Degree Rule. Reply with quote

Use The 100 Degree Rule.
At what temperature should you wear a wetsuit or drysuit? Below is a chart to help you decide.
A good rule of thumb to follow for safe waterskiing is the "100 degree rule." This means that the air temperature plus the water temperature should be greater than or equal to 100 degrees F to be skied comfortably. You can certainly ski in temperatures lower than the combined 100, however, most people feel that it becomes uncomfortable at that point.

Participating in water sports in cold water can be fun if proper precautions are taken to protect your body. Failing to do so can result in frostbite or hypothermia. To better prepare youself for dip in cooler waters reference my article "Waterskiing in Cold Weather/Water" - Don't be dumb and ski numb. Take preventive measures and know the signs of hypothermia and frostbite.

Wetsuit - Drysuit Temperature Chart

Water Temperature (farenheit) How the Water Feels to the Body What Type of Suit to Wear
80 degrees + Bath Water None Needed
72-80 degrees Comfortable Wetsuit Trunks or Shorty or Sleeveless Shorty
65-72 degrees Cool at First Short John Arms / Full Leg Wetsuit
60-65 degrees Very Chilly Full Wetsuit or Drysuit
50-60 degrees Extremely Chilly Full Wetsuit or Drysuit or Short John Arms / Full Leg Wetsuit with Jacket
50 degrees and below May Cause Shock - use caution Full Wetsuit or Drysuit with gloves, hood, and booties (if applicable)
Werk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the helpful info kippy!
vince

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: my favorite Reply with quote

http://www.bodyglove.com/

black/charcoal

Features
- MATERIALS

vapor flex water repellent

technology in shoulders

future flex in under arms,

body and legs

CONSTRUCTION

vaporlock seams

anatomically cut

spot taped seam intersections

FEATURES

superflex stretch kneepads

short zip

d-span printing on ankles

interior key pocket

Bob Meistrell talks about the history of Body Glove and the wetsuit. friends that became legends and the secret behind Body Glove's success.

http://www.bodyglove.com/feature/meistrells.jpg

http://www.bodyglove.com/videos/meistrell.html
vince

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Committed to the Sea: Bill Meistrell Memorial Service Reply with quote

http://www.bodyglove.com/photos/bill_memorial/photos.html

Committed to the Sea: Bill Meistrell Memorial Service Article from Daily Breeze
October 2nd, 2006: By Kristin S. Agostoni

Two months after his death, Body Glove co-founder Bill Meistrell gets a saltwater send-off. He's remembered as a surfing and diving legend with an unmistakable laugh.

As the ocean waves lapped softly and the sun poked through an overcast sky, Bill Meistrell found his way back to the water.

Bobbing in the surf on longboards and waving from decks of a dozen drifting boats, hundreds of people gathered Sunday off the coast of Redondo Beach as the veteran waterman's ashes were scattered across the blue Pacific.

Meistrell, the co-founder of Body Glove and a surfing and diving legend in the South Bay, died July 25 from Parkinson's disease. He was 77.

"I think Bill would say, what a beautiful sight looking out here today," said the Rev. Jim Kavanagh of St. James Catholic Church, as he spoke to a crowd of more than 200 people in the water, many of whom were surfing and diving legends themselves. "And we would say, thank you, Bill.

Meistrell's ashes were lowered into the surf atop a floral display arranged like the black and yellow hand symbolizing Body Glove -- the brand of neoprene wet suit he created four decades ago with his identical twin, Bob.

The brothers and longtime business partners built their lives together in the South Bay and had only briefly been separated, when they were drafted in 1950 into the U.S. Army. While Bob was stationed at Fort Ord, his brother earned a Bronze Star for fighting in Korea.In 1953, they joined the fledgling Dive N' Surf shop started in Redondo Beach by surfboard maker Hap Jacobs and Bev Morgan, a friend the twins had met while lifeguarding and surfing in the South Bay.

The brothers had become sole owners by 1957 and nine years later coined the term Body Glove, which today adorns swimsuits, trunks, T-shirts and so many other things synonymous with the Southern California beach lifestyle.

Bob Meistrell said he considered his brother his best friend, and that as identical twins, "we were about as close as we could be."

As friends and family members raised their hands Sunday to pray, the Meistrell twin's eyes welled up while he floated in the sea. With his brother's children and grandchildren by his side, he clung to a pair of shiny surfboards decorated with photographs and family mementos.

But even as the waves splashed over their sand-colored boards, smiling pictures of the brothers and their extended families peeked through the water's surface. Along the beach at the foot of Avenue C and the bluffs lining The Esplanade, crowds of pedestrians paused to listen as an AMVETS band sounded a 21-gun salute.

On the deck of the family boat, veterans folded an American flag and presented it to Bob and Meistrell's son, Bill, who emerged from the water in black Body Glove wet suits. Slowly, as the rolling waves broke the outermost rim of yellow flowers, thousands of roses and carnations cascaded out to sea. Family members played Jackson Brown's "Rock Me on the Water.

"Rock me on the water
The wind is with me now
So rock me on the water
I'll get down to the sea somehow

As the music faded, the paddlers clapped and cheered, sending thousands of black and yellow specks across the waves and into the distance. A team of rescue boats manned by Redondo Beach Harbor Patrol officers and Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies and lifeguards roamed past, and one peeled away in a missing-man formation.

Aboard the family boat, others remembered Meistrell with sunflowers, tossing handfuls of more black and yellow flowers into the surf. "It was so beautiful, and I couldn't keep from crying because I loved him so much," said longtime family friend Jack Choate of Torrance, who watched the paddlers from the deck.

"He was more than a friend. He was more than a brother," said Choate, who met the brothers in 1953 when he stopped to buy equipment at Dive N' Surf. "We really loved each other. "The family capped the celebration of Meistrell's life with an afternoon reception at Seaside Lagoon in King Harbor, where visitors lunched on Carl's Jr. burgers and french fries, which Bill Jr. said were his father's favorites.

It was a reunion of sorts for many of the legendary surfers and divers who got their start in the South Bay, including Morgan and Jacobs, Sonny Vardeman, Mickey Munoz, Dick Garrett and Henry Ford. They told stories about Meistrell and remembered his life, but many couldn't help but include his brother in their tributes. They were too much alike, from their looks down to their laughs.

In remarks legendary surfer and board-maker Greg Noll wrote about Meistrell and asked Vardeman to deliver, he called the identical twins "almost impossible" to tell apart. "But the one thing I was sure of was how pleasant it was and how much I enjoyed hearing and seeing the unmistakable Meistrell laugh and grin," Noll continued. "I will miss Billy very much, but I will have some reassurance in knowing that even though Billy is not here to light up my day a little with the great Meistrell laugh, all I have to do is come up behind Bobby, put my arms around him and squeeze his head a little, knowing full well that when he turns around and sees me, that unmistakable grin will still be there."

Donations may be made to the following charities reflected Bill's passion and life. If inspired, please make a contribution to the following in Bill's name:

For the ocean: The Redondo SEA Lab: The SEA Lab is a program of the nonprofit LA Conservation Corps in Redondo Beach.
Please address gifts to:
LACC
PO Box 15868
Los Angeles, CA 90015
Attn: SEA Lab (Bill Meistrell)
Or you can Donate Online

For the children: Make A Wish Foundation: Please make a Memorial Gift in Bill Meistrell's name

For health: Parkinson's Disease Foundation: Please follow instructions under the Giving to PDF" tab and make a memorial gift in Bill Meistrell's name. www.pdf.org/giving/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HOPKINSPROPELLER.COM Forum Index -> Sking Boats All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: